After our last cornrow hairstyle was taken down after 5 weeks it was time to prepare D’s natural hair to be straightened and styled for her dance recital. We washed, detangled, deep conditioned and heavily moisturized her hair with our favorite moisturizer, then we banded her hair in about 8 sections for a few days (2-3 days should be enough for the hair to stretch and dry depending on the thickness).
On the morning of the recital I took the bands out and began to straighten her hair with a flat iron. She wanted a hip hop dance hairstyle that would stay out of her face while dancing, so we:
- Parted and added 3 cornrows on each side
- Then ratted, poofed, hair sprayed and pinned up the front/middle section on her hair
- Pull up the back of the hair into a ponytail. This is actually 2 ponytails, 1 right under the other, but you can’t really tell that, again depending on the amount and thickness of the hair you might need to make 2 ponytails
- Finally we wrapped and pinned the braids around the ponytail
We did almost this same hairstyle a few years ago but instead of her hair being straight it was curly, see that tutorial here: same hairstyle with curly hair.
Each year everyone always seems to enjoying seeing her dance costumes so here they are:
- Silver Costume Dance: “Bass Down Low”
- Football Jersey: “Monday Night Football”
- Ghoul Costume: Monster High “City Ghouls” / “Friday Lights, Big City” – See our full post on the Monster High City Ghouls Dance Costume, Make-Up and Hair